Friday, March 10, 2006

Cooking roller coaster

I seem to have a roller coaster relationship with cooking - for awhile I'll be all psyched, looking at lots of different recipes, and shopping at specialty stores for unique ingredients. Then, I decide I've had enough of this cooking thing and rely on the same, boring foods to survive for a week or two. Eventually I get sick of this boring food (and I'm sure Shearn Yoong does too!) and go back up the roller coaster of getting all excited about cooking.

Admittedly, it is a lot harder to cook with an 18-month old. Benji actually pushes me away from the counter when I try to do anything remotely related to cooking, so it takes a lot of ingenuity - and finishing it up once Daddy comes home and can play with the little guy - to get a meal completed. But I can't completely blame Benji. If I want to, I can take the effort to make at least a decent meal on a regular basis - but sometimes I just don't care!

If you didn't guess, I am currently on the down swing of the roller coaster - NOT in the mood for cooking. When I just looked in the refrigerator I was met with a pleasant surprise. My Korean friend Anna, who is a great cook, gave me some leftovers from last night - a beef and veggie dish to go with rice and some Korean radishes. Lifesaver! Hopefully by next week I'll be back on the upswing of the roller coaster - for the sake of all our taste buds!

No comments: