Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A good prayer for a king ... or a parent

I just finished reading Solomon's prayer in 1 Kings 3. God tells Solomon to ask for whatever he wants. Instead of asking for riches or power, this is his prayer: "Now, O Lord my God, You have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. Your servant is here among the people You have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?" (v. 7-9)

Any parent who is honest admits to sometimes feeling like "a little child." There are days when it seems that there is no one able to govern "the great people." And though we only have two kids, sometimes I feel like they are too numerous to count or number!

My prayer as a mother is for wisdom. It is my greatest need. Thankfully, God has promised to provide. " If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)

No comments: