Thursday, June 28, 2007

Hope for weary parents

I don't know about all you other parents, but once 9:30 p.m. rolls around in our house, the two parents present are exhausted. We normally sit on the couch and attempt to have a conversation for awhile, abandoning that goal since our brains are too tired to think. We waste a little time before concluding that we really must sleep or we'll collapse. It's a happy exhaustion, being the parents of two young boys, but exhaustion nevertheless. When I read this passage in Isaiah 40 this afternoon, it reminded me where I need to go when I am exhausted (which is at least once a day).

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

(Isaiah 40:28-31)

Updated: I wrote this in the early afternoon today. This evening I checked my email and found a fitting quote that I thought is appropriate to add. I do not know the author:

"These are the never years. Never enough money, never enough time, never enough sleep - but always enough love. The sweetest kiss of a baby the tooth-paste-flavored kiss of a child on his way to school; the sleepy kiss of a husband who is just as tired as you.

These are the busy years, the wonderful, hectic, impossible years. Soon the children will be grown and I'll have plenty of time to organize my house, to sew and to cultivate outside interests. I wonder if it will be as wonderful as I sometimes dream it will? Or am I in the middle of the wonderful years... right now?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Laurel! This made me cry! :)

~cjoy said...

What excellent verses and quote! Both are so very true. . .