Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hope or hopeless

Monday and Tuesday this week were very discouraging for me in the mothering department. Benji seemed to relapse into some old behavior that I thought we were done with. The endless repetition of discipline [otherwise known as normal-life-with-two-young-children] was getting extremely tiresome. I woke up this morning feeling little hope for my 4 year old son who can be such a handful at times.

Then this afternoon God showed me this verse and reminded me of the song based on it:

"And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. " (Romans 5:5)

Hope in Benji is disappointing. But hope in God is not disappointing. Why? Because He has poured His love into our hearts. Even if I have no reason to hope in Benji, I always have reason to hope in God. And I also will believe God for those desired changes in Benji - whether they happen tomorrow (my preference) or in 20 years, depending on God's timing.

And I also have hope that this verse can be an encouragement to another weary mom or dad out there. Blessings on our tough role as parent.

No comments: