Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving is over...

...which means it's time for Christmas. Well, most of the retailers thought the Christmas season began on November 1st, though I think the season officially begins TODAY. Benji got in the spirit of the season by announcing today, out of the blue: "Mommy, don't fill my stocking this year because I want Santa to come down the chimney and fill it up." I guess he thinks Santa will give better loot than his cheapskate parents! And no, we don't do the whole Santa-thing with our kids, so the poor little kids already know that Santa's not real. But I guess Benji's really trying to make him real even if we tell him it's just a fun story. If he tells Grandma, I bet she'd humor him though. In fact, I still get presents from Santa but the handwriting on the tag looks suspiciously like hers. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Several weeks ago I told Nathan that Santa is not real, I don't know why I said it but right after I said that I regretted it. I guess it's kinda fun for kids to have something to look forward to, and know that they have to be good to get gifts from Santa. I never knew who Santa was while growing up, and the only thing I was looking forward to during holiday season is fireworks and money from my parents and relatives. Comparing with that, I think the Santa story is better. I hope Nathan won't remember what I said.

Laurel said...

Shearn Yoong and I decided to say Santa is a fun story and also to tell who the real St. Nicholas was (a generous man who gave things away, a good example of Christian virtue) but not really say he is real. It just depends on the family and what they decide to do.

I grew up in a family where my parents pretended there was a Santa but I don't remember ever really believing it (but my parents might beg to differ!)

Either way, have a good holiday season!