Thursday, February 12, 2009

Vegan cake recipe

This recipe is for Heather but I thought others might like it too. My dad is a vegan so this is my go-to recipe for birthday cakes for him. And I swear, it tastes good! I once served the chocolate version at a church picnic and no one knew the wiser.

Vegan cake

Dry ingredients:
1 ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt

Wet ingredients:
1 cup cold water
1 Tbsp. vinegar
¼ cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8 or 9 in. baking dish. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl mix wet ingredients together. Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix with a fork or an electric mixer. Bake for 30-35 min.

Variations:
Chocolate chip cake – sprinkle 1/3-2/3 cup chocolate chips on top of cake before baking.

Chocolate cake – add ¼ cup cocoa powder for dry ingredients.

Spice cake – add 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. allspice, ½ tsp. ground cloves & ¼ tsp. nutmeg to dry ingredients; omit vanilla.

Ginger molasses – reduce sugar and water to ¾ cup. Add tsp. cinnamon, 15tsp. allspice, 1-3 tsp. ginger to the dry ingredients. Add ¼ cup molasses to wet ingredients and omit vanilla.

Banana cake – reduce sugar to 2/3 cup. Instead of water, use 1 cup mashed banana and a little milk.

2 comments:

~cjoy said...

In spite of still eating meat, we have to vegan-ize a lot of things in our house since the older kids are allergice to dairy and the baby (and therefore me, since I nurse) can't have eggs. I will hang on to this recipe - thanks.

To make my own life simpler, I often just use Ener-G Egg Replacer and sub out milk or butter type things with soy products. Miss C's birthday cake was like Melody's, but with our subs and a personal favorite icing - no one could tell a difference...and I still ate too much of it. haha.

Laurel said...

Yes, I've used that egg replacer before too. Since only my dad is vegan, I don't need to do too much substitutions since I don't live with him anymore. I have not been super impressed with soy alternative dairy products by themselves (like butter) but in a recipe I'm sure they would be fine.