Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Ramblings of a Tech Geek

My decision is cemented.

After weeks of watching, I finally saw a good deal last weekend on a Windows laptop for my mom-in-law, so I ran to my local Office Depot store and grabbed one.

The laptop itself is pretty decent - more than sufficient for her need and hardware-wise, ready for Windows 7 whenever it's released and should last her for the next 5 years.

But man oh man, after working on prepping the laptop for her, I swear by my iMac I personally will never go back to a Windows PC again, ever. Nope. Not a chance.

Vista itself was.. meh. I haven't spent a great deal of time with it, but I'm just not impressed by my experience navigating around this system. That whole file/folder structure in Explorer is just so weird and confusing. What's up with all these "virtual folders" (don't know the official Softie term for this *cough* *super-wonderfully-great-feature*) that point to some place else but you can't get to that some place else by clicking on the virtual folders. It just throws the error "Access denied" even as admin??!!! Really???!!! If you know where the actual location is, can't you just tell me even if you can't take me there automagically???!!! On top of that, the Start Menu redesign is just not that usable.

Which brings me to the nail - the final nail in the Windows PC coffin. I'm talking about all the Trial-/Crap-/Free-/Share-/Whateverchamacallit-wares. That was what I meant by working on prepping the laptop for her. I spent hours (hours!!!) removing all these stuff. Boy did I work! Did I hear you say, "why don't you just grab the disc and reinstall the system, ya dummy?!" I would if the package came with a restore disc in the first place. No, the vendor decided disc is not the way to go. Instead, they created a restore partition, which you have to launch this handy dandy software to do something (for about 15 minutes) to prep stuff from this restore partition before it is ready to burn onto 3 DVDs. 3 DVDs??!! I thought off-the-shelf Vista Home Premium comes in 1 DVD maybe 2? But of course! It's prepping the restore discs to include restoring ALL the Whateverchamacallit-wares back onto the computer, exactly the things I was fighting hard to remove. I wasn't going to attempt wasting more time just to see if I actually have the option to NOT install the wares during the restore procedure.

My mom's need is uncomplicated - internet and office productivity on a computer that's not bogged down with layers and layers of software complexities. I have no problems with Linux myself, but it might get some getting use to for my mom. A basic netbook (a little less wares) is physiologically not a good solution for her and doesn't make sense in the long term because I can't get a free Windows 7 upgrade. Most netbooks run Windows XP. So I needed to pare down the laptop I got her so that it wouldn't overwhelm her. That is why I spent so much time in Windows Explorer trying to clean things up that gets left over after the uninstalls so that there won't be a 50+ menu items staring at her from the Start Menu. The new Start Menu is, in my opinion, just not a good design for those who have tons and tons of software. Unfortunately, you WILL get tons and tons of software when you buy a new Windows-powered computer. That is why you could always get a Windows PC so cheap. PC makers get kickbacks from all the vendors of these wares they install. I'm glad they have the scruples to pass the savings on to the consumers instead of hording the profits, but at the cost of consumer experience that would have otherwise improve their image and brand. Like I said, they make decent computers, it's what they chose to put in it that they fall short on. The analogy I can come up with is if Ferrari details the interior of its F430 all over with cheap plastics and fit in a 4 cylinder instead. Still a Ferrari, but the experience is not one of Ferrari's.

Honestly, my time and sanity is worth more than the few hundred bucks saved. Alas, it was not a computer for myself! Don't get me wrong, mom. I don't despise your decision to get a Windows PC nor did I mind helping you out. I'm a tech geek at heart. I live for these kinds of opportunities. I'm saying I wouldn't have gone the Windows PC route if it was my own decision to make. From what I learned from this last opportunity, I'm even more inclined to stay a Mac user. So maybe when you shop for your new computer in the future, I might press the issue to get a Mac more than ever! :)

So what's so great about Mac? Simply put, it's simple. I remember when I set my iMac up, it was setting up my bluetooth keyboard and mouse, setting up wireless connection, creating a user, register product and I'm ready to go. There is nothing left to do. If it was a MacBook, you just skip the keyboard and mouse setup entirely, meaning you're ready to go in 3 simple steps. 3 simple steps!! Now you tell me which typical consumer wouldn't want this kind of simplicity.

The other thing is pricing. Since Apple controls the prices, prices are the same anywhere you get one. Sure, some retailers may have slightly better prices by doing some software bundling, but not by much. What does that mean? That means I don't have to spend too much time watching for the "right" price to come like I did with a Windows PC. That means a typical user can walk into any store that sells Macs and doesn't have to worry about the store "sticking it" to them, as long as the user says, "no, thank you" to all the "value-add" propositions the store employee is trying to sell.

So while mom plods around in Vista for now, I'm just waiting for Windows 7 to arrive. Will 7 carry over some of the things I dislike about Vista? Probably. 7 will also have some improved navigational features (I'm thinking the new taskbar) useful for simple users. The biggest plus is that I will get to totally wipe the current setup and replace with a clean, clutter-free install. That, I can't wait to do.

3 comments:

Shearn said...

Yeah sorry. Told you it was ramblings.

Vince said...

Ubuntu rocks!!!

Unknown said...

did u disable the constant indexing for Windows Search?

If not, do it, it will thrash your HDD.

Reinstalling vista from the partition is useless when u have to chg HDD...

Windows got more character-ma... need constant tweaking like a WRX. I'm stuck with Bill for now since the business world is still dominated by MS products.



nic