Monday, April 17, 2006

Dirty, barefoot babies in Wal-Mart

Pre-baby I used to see dirty, barefoot babies being strolled around in a stroller in Wal-Mart, and I would think, "Why can't these parents get their act together enough to clean up their kids and put shoes on them? I know we live in Arkansas, but shoes are a normal piece of attire."

Well, it has happened - another helping of humble pie. I have joined them. But now I understand, I really do. First, keeping a baby or toddler clean is a 24/7 job, and sometimes even the most meticulate fall short. Second, shoes are useless if a baby is in a stroller. And Benji will take off one or both of his shoes somewhere in the store and drop it. Several times we have reached the exit doors, only for us to have to re-trace our steps to find the offending shoe.

Tonight it wasn't Wal-Mart but Harp's; Benji's face wasn't dirty, just his shorts from dinner; but we definitely looked the part. When checking out I realized that not only am I pregnant with a toddler missing his shoes ... but I also forgot to wear my wedding ring. As my fingers are swelling, this is a more and more common occurence. I think they need to invent a wedding ring hologram - that way I won't have to wonder if I put my ring or not.

No comments: