Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Uh-dor

“Uh-dor”. That’s Benji’s very first, two-syllable Chinese word he uttered for the first time at the end of last week. I’ve been working with him on his anatomy for some time now, so “Uh-dor” refers to the ears. Should be pronounced more like “Er-duo”, but hey, we’ll take what we can get. I was lying down next to him one night trying to put him down for his bedtime. He sat up, leaned towards me, pointed to my left ear and said, “uh-dor”. I was elated!

His very first, two-syllable English word is “the door”. No, every door is not just “door”, every door is “the door”. He pronounced it like “de-dor”. “Da-da” doesn’t really count because it’s the same sound twice. I’m talking about more complex sounds.

It’s amazing watching him try to speak at this age. Sometimes, you say a word and you can just watch him trying to shape his lips the way we would, making some of the sounds for the word. Sometimes when he’s unsure if he’s got it right, he’d mutter it more silently.

What’s the word he can pronounce, with intonation mind you, the best? “No!” I guess us parents have been using it quite a bit of that…..

No comments: