Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Sleep dramas in our house

Benji and I both have been very particular sleepers lately.

Benji has been waking up by 6 a.m. for the last two months or so. We're not sure if he thinks he's going to work with Daddy or what. It seems that his biological clock is set for that time and will NOT be re-programmed despite many attempts on my part. Therefore, I have given up in getting him to sleep later in the morning, so now we're trying to get him to sleep earlier in the evening so he can get sufficient sleep each day. He now is totally konked out by 7:40 p.m. This definitely limits our social engagements; however, we have not been receiving very many invitations to social engagements so we're doing fine. Our friends don't love us anymore! (just kidding)

Then there's me. Benji woke up MANY times a night from 6 months until 18 or 19 months. (I will not give a specific number so as not to scare the non-parents who are reading.) Once we night weaned, he slept much better. Now he either sleeps all the way through the night or just wakes up once. A real miracle! So now I should be getting GREAT sleep, right? No, now *I* can't sleep. First of all, I've got this big belly that makes sleeping uncomfortable. I also have to wake up to go to the bathroom several times a night. But I can't blame it all on the little baby. I also just have insomnia. I lie in our bed and feel no tiredness even when I should be exhausted. Well, the exhaustion comes the next morning around 10 or 11 a.m. Thankfully Benji does take pretty long naps, therefore so do I.

So what about Shearn Yoong? He seems to sleep fine, normal hours. But he does have to hear my complaining about my problems! :)

No comments: