Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sweet lullabies

During nap time, Benji called me back into his bedroom, telling me that he didn’t like the howl of the wind. While swaying with Zachary in the sling, I sang to cover up the sound of the wind. Clutching his favorite green blankie. Benji nestled snug under his clown comforter pulled up to his chin. After several verses of “Lullaby and good night” and “Be Thou my vision,” both little boys were sound asleep. I stole a few moments to relish this sweet moment and to gaze at my two sleeping angels. Regardless of the misdeeds of the morning, a sleeping child causes this mother’s heart to surge with love and pride. I know that my singing will not always be able to cover up the howling wind that is outside their windows (just as my kiss will not make every owie better) … but I am grateful that today my presence, my singing, my love was enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Laurel!

SummerSky said...

Beautifully put!

Anonymous said...

what a sweet post!