Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Crib bumpers

As Zachary's mobility is increasing (and when I say increasing, I mean it's here - he's army-crawling all over the place now), we are updating our sleeping situation so he won't crawl right over the side of our queen size bed. His crib is sidecar-ed up against our bed, but we'll be buying 2 rails this afternoon for the other side of the queen size bed (if that makes sense). Anyway, I was looking at our crib bumpers last night. They are not looking too good. I made them for Benji before he was born. I used a nice cotton chenille material but the stuffing inside is not very thick and is bending when it's not supposed to bend. Therefore, his hands and legs still can get stuck between the flats of the crib. Zachary also has discovered the ribbons that tie the bumpers onto the crib, and he thinks that ribbons make an excellent chew toy. So several of the ribbons are very frayed at the end. I think it might be time to make some new bumpers. Kristin, I will be talking to you about your pattern this Friday.

But all this brings me to say, in a very roundabout way, I think these crib bumpers are just a scam made up by the fabric people and the crib people, who must have gotten together to figure out a way to get us parents to spend more money. Why do cribs have slats (bars) anyway? The crib people make these fancy contraptions that aren't even ready for your baby to sleep in because you need to buy bumpers to keep them safe from getting themselves stuck between the slats. One big racket...

No comments: