Friday, June 13, 2008

Negotiation

I hate negotiating to lower a price. I'd rather pay an obviously too high price rather than haggle. I would not do well in Malaysia (or many other countries) because it is expected to haggle on every single price posted. Which is why it's great that I have a Malaysian husband. He does a great job in that department. But yesterday I got my chance to prove that I can do it.

I went to see a bunk bed for sale by one of my mom's friends. I thought it cost $100 but when I called her that evening it turned out it was $200. Though more than I expected, I still felt like it was a good deal because it's in very good condition. But when I asked Shearn Yoong if that was okay with him, Shearn Yoong said, "Ask if she'll take $150." Now for a normal person this would not be a big deal. Just ask. If she says no, then we pay $200. Not the end of the world. But my adrenaline started pounding and I looked around for an escape. Why am I so terrified that this stranger might think I was trying to take advantage of her, which I'm sure she wasn't thinking. I honestly don't know. But in the end, I did it! I asked the simple question, "Will you take $150?" and she said yes. Now that I have proven that I can indeed haggle,  I will still give that role to Shearn Yoong because I don't know if my heart can take that much adrenaline on a regular basis.

I hope the boys are happy to know that they will soon have a new bed that their mother negotiated a lower price for - which means I can spend the $50 saved on some new sheets for them. Or maybe 2 new dresses which I mentioned in the last post. Probably dresses! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Laurel! I too get nervous when trying to haggle. Can't wait to see the beds sometime :)

Unknown said...

I'm like you too even though a Malaysian!! I see people do that at the garage sales or even craiglist one time Andy asked me to negotiate the price, I was so very nervous and chickened out and ended up the original price.

Unknown said...

Yeah I think Shearn's pretty good at negotiating that's why I asked him to go with me when I went to buy our second car! :-)

I guess if you feel comfortable with the asking price, you will have less desire to negotiate.

There's a rule of thumb for negotiating, always offer half of the asking price, and then go up from there. :-)