Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pie for breakfast

Here is the blueberry pie Benji and I made this afternoon (I love blueberry season!). I read up thoroughly on berry pies and pastry dough in my well-used copy of "The Joy of Cooking" (my favorite all-purpose cookbook given as a gift from my dad years ago). You would be amazed at how much is written on the topic. Or if you're a food science major, like Kristin, maybe you wouldn't be surprised. There is a lot of science that goes into a pie crust. In case you're ever bored at night, just google it and I'm sure you'll find plenty of reading material. Anyway, while doing my extensive research in "The Joy of Cooking," I learned that 200 years back people used to eat pie for breakfast and dinner, and it was not unusual for a household to bake a dozen pies every week. All I can say is, sometimes I wish I was born 200 years ago! Forget whole grain bran flakes for breakfast, tomorrow I'm having a slice of pie!

1 comment:

SummerSky said...

That looks so delicious!!