Sunday, June 22, 2008

War

Last week we watched the movie "Joyeux Noel" on Thursday night and "In the valley of Elah" on Friday night. "Joyeux Noel" is the true story of WWI soldiers who took a break from fighting to celebrate Christmas together in 1914. "In the valley of Elah" is a tale of how the Iraq war changed several soldiers into people who did things they never imagined they would do (purposely vague description so it won't spoil the plot for anybody who hasn't seen it and plans to). Two war movies in two nights. The combined effect made me deepen my hatred of war and maximize the futility of most (all?) wars.

Is it unpatriotic to pray that my sons never join the military? Because if it is, call me unpatriotic.

1 comment:

~cjoy said...

Nope. Not at all. I am deeply grateful for our soldiers, and have friends whose husbands are in the military, but I, too, pray my children never join the military. I'd support them, but I hope they don't. You sound like a normal mom to me. :)