Wednesday, June 11, 2008

There is only one problem with weaning

And that problem is that it means you NEVER, EVER breastfeed again. 

Yes, I know I'm a genius. But it's a big deal! 

Last week I woke up one day and decided, "Enough. I'm done with nursing. Zac's 20 months old and that is pretty good." But I do have some compassion so we have not stopped cold turkey. We are currently down to 1-2 nursing sessions a day.

But back to the problem. That means we will soon not be breastfeeding at all. Not for owies. Not for naptime. Not for anything. Good in theory but in practice could be tricky - especially as you're balancing a demanding 3 year old on top of the 20 month old. Nursing Zac has been my vehicle to read Benji books the last 1 1/2 years. If I wasn't nursing Zac, I have no idea how I would have kept up all our reading. Nursing has been a great "occupier" for Zac when I have done activities or talked with Benji. So where does that leave us now? We'll see... I'm sure we'll make a new rhythm but in the meantime there are a few things that are beginning to cause me a little anxiety - not the least of them being naptime. Today was okay. I know there will be not okay days too, but I will be thankful for today's okay day. 

Anytime there is change, it can be difficult - even if it's a good and natural part of growing up. Just as a parent whose child uses a pacifier to go to sleep knows - eventually the pacifier has got to go. But that doesn't make the process any easier.

And to end on a totally trivial and selfish point, I am very excited to finally be able to wear dresses again! It's been 4 years, folks. That's a long time! In fact, I might need to treat myself to a few new ones to celebrate.

1 comment:

~cjoy said...

I weaned Miss C at 20 months. And it was a peculiar relief to move on. Of course, with my third I've got this little niggling thought in my head that I really ought to just pump sometimes for when I need out alone...that need seems to be a bit more frequent these days (of course, as a friend and I recently discussed, "alone" still counts if it's a baby under a year old.)

Here's to the next stage in life!